Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Lotsa Links

I was talking to my Mom yesterday, about my blog. I was asking her if she ever posted "non-crafty" things on hers, and she was telling me how she started out with two blogs, but has merged them into one. Not a bad idea honestly. Most everyone's blogs I read have some form of non-crafty information once and a while. I sometimes feel like I shouldn't blog when I don't have anything to brag about, or any new pictures to post, etc. But today I'm going to give it a whirl.

I have been working so hard on a few different projects. Every minute of spare time I have has been devoted to knitting lately. This has been really interesting to me as well, because before the past few months, knitting was just something that I "knew how to do" but didn't really DO anything with. I've learned a few new stitches, and techniques, and because of that I have totally "re-discovered" my excitement and passion for crafts.

My friend's baby blanket is coming along slowly but surely, I think of the tortoise and the hare story when thinking about my progress on this blanket. "Slow but steady, wins the race!" I have been extremely slow, and sometimes not so steady, but it WILL be finished by January 17th. I have a ton of other things on the needles as well. I conquered the yarn over technique with this baby bib the day before yesterday, which I was very proud of. I know looking at these patterns, to an expierenced knitter, they look so blah and easy, but there are little things about these that I hadn't ever done before, since this was barely a "hobby" beforehand.

Another thing I can't wait to learn is to knit in the round. Both my mom and my friend have told me that once I figure it out, I will say to myself "that's it? that's so easy!" And I can't wait to get that figured out. My dear husband wants a hat, and on Ravelry I found a pattern for a "manly hat" that is knit in the round, and on this guy (minus all that scruff that isn't so hot) I think this pattern would suit my man just perfectly. Another reason for me to learn to knit in the round is because I want a pair of fingerless mittens so bad! I found this pattern via Ravelry also, called "Hand like a Hole" and it's not knit in the round, it just has alot of yarn overs (which I can do now!!!) but I want to make those first, and then would LOVE to make something like this after I've gotten better.

Anyway. If anyone has any good ideas for websites where I can learn a few things, let me know, I'd love the input. Happy Hump Day!

1 comment:

Nan said...

Dear Daughter O' mine... this is the exact link I used when I first learned to knit socks, a little over 2 years ago. It will teach you all you need to know about knitting in the round and then once you get your gloves done, you might just want to try a pair of socks out for a new challenge.

http://www.royea.net/sockdemo1.html