Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Early Beginnings...

My biggest New Year's Resolution this year, was to stop being so scared of 1)change and 2)learning/trying new things.  I'm a creature of habit and both of these things are a constant hurdle of mine that I want to get rid of.  So, on NYE the kids and I went up to my mother's for the night.  We had a ton of fun (as always) and of course, the trip wouldn't be complete without me forgetting something.  Well this time is was my bag.  Yep!  My whole overnight bag with everything in it, to include MY KNITTING.  I was not impressed to say the least.  But then again I'm always doing something like this so why should I be suprised?

     
Anyway, since I didn't have my knitting, or should I say "THE BLANKET THAT WON'T END" .... I decided to ask my Mom for some lessons on knitting in the round.  I've been knitting for 4 years almost and still haven't even tried to learn.  (Hence the new years resolution) So I decided to make a hat.  A hat for whom, you may ask?  Well the baby!  Of course!  I found this adorable hat that is done in the round.  People always told me that once I learned how to knit in the round, I would wonder what I was so afraid of.  It couldn't have been more true!  Mom sat down with me, showed me two simple things, and I looked at her and said "That's it?"  So anyway here is the hat I made for Miss Eliza! 


I was SO excited that I made another when I got home.  I had to tweak the pattern for just straight knitting since I don't own any DPN's.  I don't like it as much, I don't think it's as cute as the other, and it's definately bigger, but she can grow into it.  
Now, I want to learn how to crochet.  I have a friend of mine who knows and is going to hopefully show me a thing or two on how to do it.  


Now if I could only stop being so afraid to go somewhere new without getting lost....

1 comment:

Nan said...

I love that you are trying new things!